Upgrade your cabbing process to utilize quick-change magnetically-mounted Diamond Pacific Nova diamond laps.
Quickly polish your cabochon backs without the mess of traditional diamond compounds. By fusing a lap of Diamond Pacific's Nova resin-bond diamond to a magnet disc base, these Nova discs offer reliable and efficient polishing performance with the convenience of an easy-to-swap magnetic lap. These discs mount magnetically to steel master laps and are easily removed.
Nova Magnetic Discs are made by Diamond Pacific in California with a 1/16 inch thick backing of solid rubber containing magnetized iron particles. The rubber is coated with a thick layer of Diamond Pacific's special Nova resin-bond diamond formula in a grid pattern for fast action and long lap life. Diamond Pacific utilizes an extra-concentrated amount of diamonds in the Nova resin layer to provide a durable and fast-cutting lap for professional lapidaries and jewelers creating custom body jewelry, cabochons, or intarsia where time and accuracy is key.
Selection and Compatibility
Quickly mount Diamond Pacific magnetic Nova laps to a no-hole spin-on back plate on your lapidary cabbing machine to work out the scratches left by grinding with magnetic plated diamond discs or spin-on plated laps. Start with a proven general purpose grit sequence recommended by Diamond Pacific for sanding most lapidary stone flats using 30-60-280-600-1200 grit Nova diamond laps followed by your favorite lapidary polish on a canvas polishing pad. This combination will put an excellent polish on most stones, while some hard-to-polish material or deep saw or lapping marks may require more steps such as a coarse-grit magnetic diamond plated lap, additional grit magnetic sanding laps, or lapidary polish compounds like diamond paste or cerium oxide polish. These Nova discs will also adhere magnetically to a cast iron or nickel lap you may already have for working lapidary material flat surfaces. Magnetic Nova laps do not have a padding layer, use standard Nova laps to conform to curved or domed surfaces. You can use the Magnetic Novas Laps on your present flat lap setup in most cases but they will not work on aluminum or diamond-coated discs.
Available Magnetic Nova Lap Diameters for Cabbing Machines
- 4 inch disc for Diamond Pacific Pixie, can also be used on Genie or larger machines
- 6 inch disc for Diamond Pacific Genie G2, CabKing, or other 6-inch cabbing machines.
- 8 inch disc for Diamond Pacific Titan Gem Maker, CabKing 8, or other 8-inch lapidary grinders.
- Medium and large sized laps can be special ordered in sizes 12 through 24 inch for larger commercial flat lapping machines.
Available Nova Magnetic Disc Grits and Colors
- 30 grit diamond - Olive Green
- 60 grit diamond - Vibrant Green
- 140 grit diamond - Rust
- 280 grit diamond - Black
- 600 grit diamond - Brown
- 1200 grit diamond - Grey
- 3000 grit diamond - Rose
- 8000 grit diamond - Tan
- 14000 grit diamond - Cream
- 50000 grit diamond - Light Blue
Instructions, Manuals, and Usage Tips
- Diamond Pacific Nova Magnetic discs MUST be used with water when lapping.
- Diamond Pacific Magnetic Nova Lap Instructions download - all Nova products share the same use instructions insert from Diamond Pacific.
- Diamond Pacific Nova Magnetic Laps are recommended to be used in sets rather than in combination with other brands or styles of lapidary san