Diamond Pacific Cerium Oxide Polishing Wheels give a brilliant final polish to your gemstones and cabochons after your completing sanding and pre-polishing with your preferred sequence of Diamond Pacific Nova Wheels to finish a complete lapidary rough-to-art process. The primary benefit of a Cerium Polish Wheel is found when cutting lapidary materials like stones with pits or absorbent matrix like gembone, ocean jasper, and opal. The typical slurry-based polish residue staining of undercut or porous areas in your stone can be avoided since the wheel surface is a cerium-oxide impregnated belt and water. Compared to a traditional lapidary polishes like diamond compound paste or super premium cerium oxide polish powder on a canvas pad, the mess reduction on your hands, face, and ceiling is significant.
These wheels are based on everyone's favorite foam-backed Nova Wheels with a cerium oxide polishing belt affixed a soft, thick foam rubber backing mounted to a plastic core. The foam layer of the Cerium Oxide Wheel allows the polishing surface of the wheel to conform to your cabochons and carvings to help apply a uniform and rapid polish. The Cerium Wheel's expected lifespan is determined by many factors including the hardness of materials you cut and pressure applied to the wheel, if you expose it to undue forces from corners or sharp edges, and the volume of stones being cut. To increase the life of your wheel and increase the speed of finishing your stones you can add additional steps to your lapidary cutting sequence such as 8,000-50,000 grit Diamond Pacific Nova Wheels or Diamond Pacific Magnetic Nova Laps.
Selection and Compatibility
Professional cabochon cutters, custom jewelry artists, or body jewelry makers who work a higher volume of lapidary materials will appreciate the quick and mess-less polishing action of these Diamond Pacific Cerium Oxide Polishing Wheels to finish cabochons or other lapidary works on a lapidary arbor or cabbing machine like a Genie, CabKing, Titan, or Pixie. Install the cerium wheel alongside your other lapidary grinding and sanding wheels or swap out a wheel when needed.
Cerium Oxide Wheels have a 1" arbor hole, wheel bushings are NOT included and will be necessary to install on arbors having smaller than 1 inch shaft sizes. These cerium wheels can be installed on the Diamond Pacific Bigfoot (2"), Diamond Pacific Pixie Gem-Maker (4"), Diamond Pacific Genie G2 Gem Maker (6"), Diamond Pacific Titan Gem Maker, (8") and CabKing 6 inch or CabKing 8 inch depending on your machine. Spacing may need adjustment on CabKing or other machines to make sure the water supply continues to route successfully to the wheel.
Available Cerium Oxide Wheel Diameters
- 2 inch Cerium Oxide Wheels measure 2-3/8 x 1-1/8 inch and fit Bigfoot or larger cabbing machines
- 4 inch Cerium Oxide Wheels measure 4 x 1-1/4 inch and fit Pixie or larger
- 6 inch Cerium Oxide Wheels measure 6 x 1-1/2 inch and fit Genie, CabKing 6 inch, or larger
- 8 inch Cerium Oxide Wheels measure 7 -5/8 x 2 inch for Titan, CabKing 8 inch, or other 8" lapidary arbors
Available Wheel Grits
- Cerium Oxide Polish
Spin-on screwback Cerium Oxide Nova laps are also available if changing wheels does not fit into your workflow.
Instructions, Manuals, and Usage Tips
- Diamond Pacific Cerium Oxide Polishing Wheels Instructions download (Cerium wheels share the same use instructions as Nova wheels.)
- Cerium Oxide wheels MUST be used with water.
- A brand new cerium wheel may create a small amount of paste-like residue but your wheel will run clean once the application layer of polish from manufacturing is worked into the belt.