Diamond Super Polish
Mountain Mist's Super Polish is a next-generation diamond polishing compound to quickly finish your gemstone products with a mirror shine. This diamond compound is made with extremely high diamond concentrations and extremely fast polishing action. Mt Mist Diamond Compound is effective on all stones and most metals, and works especially well on high karat gold alloys or when touching up or cleaning most stones in settings, especially opal.
Mt Mist Super Polish is a hard compound of a similar consistency to a wax crayon and is easily picked up for application with a brush or whatever you are using to polish. Available in small plastic tubs or sticks. The sticks are excellent for easily application to a buff wheel, flat lap, or directly to large carvings. Each Super Polish stick comes with a cap to cover the polish when done using it. 3000 and 50,000 grits come in 4-gram units, while other grits are 3-gram containers. Completely non-toxic in normal polishing situations and water-soluble, just brush off under running water. Avoid high heat.
Start with your preferred sequence, choosing from 325, 600, 1200, 2000, 3000 grits. Mt Mist Super Polish works like a two-stage polish, start with firm pressure but lighten up as the polish develops. Using more polish with heavier pressure, the faster the cutting action. As you polish and the paste is used up, apply lighter pressure to bring out its 2nd stage, or polishing ability. If you experience a 'varnishing' use more polish to remove it, this means you do not have enough polish on the brush. Super Polish will capture the polishing debris, keeping your environment dust free and can be washed off with water.
- 325 grit Brown is for preparation and to remove bumps
- 600 grit Red is for smoothing
- 1200 grit Blue is for smoothing and finishing
- 2000 grit Green is for the transition from the heavier grits to the polish
- 3000 grit Gray is a pre-polish step particularly nice for quartz materials
- 14000 grit Yellow provides a final polish on most stones and opals
- 14000 grit Colorless is designed for Welo opals to not stain the matrix
- 50000 grit Mustard-Brown is a 50000/100000 grit mix for that extra-fine polishing step to create a mirror finish on harder stones and opal
Use as is! Mixing with anything or adding more diamond grit will ruin the polishing characteristics, apply exactly as it is. A little bit of polish goes a long way. The diamond will stick to your gemstone and will not get flung off like regular diamond pastes. Compound can be applied directly to your workpiece or to felt, leather, wood, cork, canvas pads, phenolic burs, or SUVA's exclusive hardwood polishing burs.
- To charge felt wheels and points, place a small drop of water on top of the paste and twirl a felt point or wheel in the soupy portion, soaking it up. Let the felt dry completely before use.
- This compound is loved by faceters seeking to coat a lap or concave mandrel to quickly polish their stone. To lap larger facets, tape a piece of manila folder onto a piece of glass, draw on it with the polish like a crayon and then hand lap the facet.
- When using a corian or a BAT lap, moisten your finger and make a soupy layer in the cup and dab it around on the lap, moisten it slightly with a light water spray and polish. Many report being able to go from a 1200 grit lap direct to the Super Polish for a fast, beautiful polish. Do not use a water drip, so watch for heat buildup.